Do you have any information about SMU webmail?, No need to worry if you don’t have one, because here we share some useful info about SMU webmail login, email setup, important email information, reset email & password and more information.
Note: This is not the official site of SMU webmail but this information is gathered from its official website and other sources.
- What is SMU ?
- What is SMU webmail ?
- How to use and access to email and calendaring?
- SMU webmail Login
- Forgotten or Reset SMU Webmail password
- About your SMU password and Reset Tool
- How to Configure student e-mail on iPhone, iPads and other iOS Devices?
- How to Configure student e-mail on Android Devices?
- Configure on Mac Mail (Built-in E-mail Client in OS X)
- Active Sync to SMU email (Windows Mobile Phones)
- How to set up SMU email on Blackberry device?
- Departmental of SMU Email Accounts Introductions
- Exchange accounts not be accessed without the HTTPS prefix
- Other mail clients and iOS device on SMU webmail
- SMU webmail Reporting Spam
- How to forward email as attachment?
- SMU E-mail Encryption Service
- SMU Contact support and email
- FAQ – SMU webmail
What is SMU ?
SMU’s diverse and highly educated students come from all 50 states and 90 countries to pursue the university’s small classes, research opportunities, leadership development, community service, international studies. U.S. SMU, a nationally private university located near the heart of Dallas, is considered a specialized center for global research with a tradition of liberal arts.
The university offers a strong foundation of humanities and science and undergraduate and professional degree programs through eight schools.
Now in its second century achievement students, faculty and alumni are increasingly being recognized as the best for the way the university supports them to become ethical leaders in their professions and communities.
What is SMU webmail ?
The SMU webmail account is created in conjunction with the general account creation process. For students, this process is done only after the accreditation of the university. Faculty and staff accounts are automatically created based on employment data.
SMU is used to verify your account password, SSN or other personal data in email or IM. An email account is created if you need to provide any private details about your account.
SMU Email can be accessed via webmail.smu.edu. In addition, email clients such as Outlook, Outlook for M, C, Thunderbird, Apple Plus Mail and others will be able to access SMUs. Used to receive and use mail from servers. It also allows mail clients to be configured on cellular phones and tablet devices.
How to use and access to email and calendaring?
Creating an account
The SMU email account is done in conjunction with the general account creation process. For students this process is done only after accreditation in the university. Faculty and staff accounts are created automatically based on employment data.
SMU will never ask you to verify your account password, SSN or other personal data in email or IM. If you receive an email requesting to provide any private details about your account, please delete it immediately.
SMU Email Access
Employees: SMU Email can be used through webmail.smu.edu. In addition, email clients such as Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Thunderbird, Apple mail and others will be able to access SMUs. Also configured to receive mail from servers. Mail clients can also be configured from cellular phones and tablet devices.
This provides complete synchronization of mail, contacts and calendar items. IMAP configuration is also available for faculty / staff accounts. For more details on configuration options, visit the Faculty / Staff Configuration page.
Students: All student emails are hosted on Office Fees 365. You can access your account office through Office.smu.edu. In addition, email clients such as Outlook, Outlook for Mac, Apple mail and others will be able to access SMUs. Can be configured to receive mail from servers. Mail clients can also be configured on cellular phones and tablet devices.
SMU webmail Login
my.SMU is a web-based application offering a variety of features for students, faculty, staff and SMU affiliates.
To access SMU webmail, you must follow the steps below.
- First you have to open this weblink.
- Enter your username and password.
- Finally click on the “LOGIN” button.
NOTE: For security reasons, please log out and exit your browser when you are finished accessing pages that require authentication.
Forgotten or reset SMU Webmail password
If you have registered in the password reset tool, you have to click here and select the “Reset” option if you feel the need to reset the password. Otherwise, please contact the OIT Help Desk by phone or in person to request a PIN. The help desk will not be able to provide you with this PIN number via email.
This system allows you to change your password and unlock your account, even if you forgot or need to reset your password.
The Reset is used when the individual does not have a working password and has previously completed the enrollment step outlined above. During this process, the individual provides their SMU ID number.
They are then presented with the questions configured during enrollment. If the correct answers are provided, the individual can then reset their SMU password.
You May Check It
About your SMU password and Reset Tool
SMU password expires automatically after 365 days. You receive many email notifications by mail before expiration. All passwords must meet certain requirements.
Please note – if you have an SMU If you are using a laptop and change your password from the campus, you will need to login with your old password and then connect to the VPN. Once a VPN connection is established, the computer should synchronize the new, updated password.
Password Reset Tool
The Password Online Password Tool offers four key features that allow a person to manage their SMU login credentials.
Complete the Enroll step with the working SMU ID and password. During this initial step, the person will sort out a series of security questions. Questions are provided but for that one has to give correct answers.
Password reset is used when the person does not have a working password and has completed the registration step mentioned earlier. During this process, the person provides their SMU ID number. Questions for registration will then be asked. If those answers are correct then the person can reset their SMU password.
The change feature is used when the SMU knows their password and wishes to change it before the expiration date. If the password has expired, but has not been changed in a timely manner, this is the best option to use it. In this process, in addition to choosing a new password, your SMU ID number and current password are requested.
The unlock feature will allow you to unlock your account. Incorrect attempts After a certain number of attempts, your SMU account may be locked. If you think the password is correct, try unlocking the account first. Once unlocked the password should be accepted by the servers.
How to Configure student e-mail on iPhone, iPads and other iOS Devices?
Instructions for configuring your device to recover your SMU email (Office Fee 365) may vary slightly depending on the device and the email client. However, email settings are easy to set up for whatever device you have, so see the guide below for Configuring student e-mail on iPhone, iPads and other iOS Devices.
Note: You may need to turn off the wireless connection to the iPhone’s configuration settings or connect it to a secure network, as Perunanet also helps to turn on and off the wireless to retrieve it.
If you don’t want to use the original mail client, there is also a dedicated app available for iOS devices called OWA for iPhone.
- First open the Settings app on your iOS mobile device.
- Scroll down and select Accounts and Passwords.
- Tap Add Account.
- Select Exchange from the list below.
- Enter the following information when you are prompted:
– Email address: Enter your SMU email address and it should look like this: nickname @ smu.edu not nickname @ mail.smu.edu.
– Description: Enter the account you want to call (Exchange, SMU, etc.).
- Click Next; If prompted, select Sign In.
- Choose a work or school account.
- Enter your SMU ID number in the username field and password in the password field.
- And click Enter.
- When asked for administrator approval, select Approve.
- Select the apps you want to use with the account (Mail, Contacts, Calender’s, Reminders, Notes).
- And finally tap ‘Save’ button.
If iPhone your contact names disappear!
If the contacts disappear on your iPhone after migration, there is no need to panic as they can be easily retrieved on the device.
- Click Settings first.
- Click iCloud.
- Turn off synchronization with contacts. Select the “Leave on my phone” option.
- Turn on sync with contacts. Select “Merge”.
- Now everything will be back to normal.
How to Configure student e-mail on Android Devices?
Instructions for configuring your device to recover your SMU email may vary slightly depending on the device and the email client. However, email settings are easy to set up for whatever device you have, so see the guide below for Configuring student e-mail on Android Devices.
- You click Settings on your Android.
- Go to Accounts and Sync.
- Select the existing SMU account and click Delete Account option.
- Click ‘Add Account’ button.
- Choose your email address.
- Then select Office Fees 365.
- Enter your personal email address.
- Click the ‘Next’ button.
- It will then ask for your username (SMU ID) and password and Click Login button.
- Then click Accept Microsoft Terms.
Configure on Mac Mail (Built-in E-mail Client in OS X)
Follow these guidelines to properly configure your e-mail mail (Built-in E-mail Client in OS X). Built-in E-mail Client in OS X You need to create Internet accounts to configure Mac Mail so follow the steps below to configure it.
- First go to System Preferences, then select Internet Accounts.
- Select the Exchange option.
- You will need to enter the following information when prompted:
– Description: Enter your preferred name for this account on your computer.
Username: Enter your SMU e-mail address.
- Then click Continue.
- Setup will direct you to the page where you will enter your SMU ID number and password.
- Once done, you can open and use Mac Mail.
Active Sync to SMU email (Windows Mobile Phones)
- When the main apps appear on the screen, click the Active Sync button.
- Click the menu option.
- You must add a new server resource.
- Enter outlook.office365.com as the server name.
- If you have an SMU ID You will be asked to enter the number, password and domain for which you have to enter the following information:
– Username: SMU e-mail address.
– Password: SMU password.
– Domain: Leave blank.
- You have now enabled Sync on SMU email on Windows Mobile phones.
How to set up SMU email on Blackberry device?
If your Blackberry device supports Exchange and you need to configure SMU email on a Blackberry device and you need to set it up, follow these settings below:
- Choose your new email setup.
- And your username should be your email address and then enter your SMU password.
- You expect the setup to fail, There should then be an option to provide settings manually.
- Select Outlook Exchange for the email type.
- Server: outlook.office365.com.
- Username: Enter your SMU e-mail address.
- Mailbox Name: Enter an email alias (the first part of your email address).
- Password: Enter your email password.
- Your BlackBerry device SMU email is now set up or configured.
Departmental of SMU Email Accounts Introductions
About departmental email accounts
- You will only be allowed to request a change of account if you are a user with access to the account.
- You can access the account via Webmail or Outlook as long as you have account permission or validation.
- Request a departmental account or change the permission through the Online Support Center.
- These accounts are not used here as general accounts for temporary employees or student workers.
- Each departmental account is assigned two security groups: editors and authors.
- Members of the editors group have full permission of the mailbox. Authors have limited permission.
Log in to the departmental account
Once permission has been granted to a departmental account, you can access that account via mail online mail or also by using an email client such as webmail.samu.idu or Outlook or Mail.
Student Workers and Office Fees 365
If you are a student worker with access to a departmental account but your personal SMU account has been moved to Office Fees 365, you will need to log in to the departmental account using the following address:
https://webmail.smu.edu/owa/EMAIL (Replace EMAIL with the departmental account e-mail address.)
It will take you to the Outlook web application login page where you can log in with your SMU ID number and password.
Exchange accounts not be accessed without the HTTPS prefix
Outlook for Windows
- Exit your Outlook.
- And go to the your Control Panel system.
- Then your mouse to ‘Double click’ Mail (32-bit) option.
- Click your ‘Show Profiles’.
- Select the default profile and click Properties and cheque.
- Click enter your Email Accounts.
- Click ‘New’ option.
- Only enter the email address of the departmental mailbox.
- Click ‘Next’ button.
- Choose the ‘Finish’ option.
- And click on the Close button.
- Open and Launch your Outlook.
- If prompted to log in, use your regular SMU credentials.
Outlook for Mac
- Open your Outlook.
- Click on Outlook in the top left corner of the screen (just to the right of the Apple icon).
- Click on Preferences.
- Select your Accounts.
- Click on the + in the bottom left corner of the window that opened.
- Select New Account.
- Enter the email address or username.
- Click on the ‘Continue’ button.
- Enter SMU ID number in the DOMAIN or username or email field, replacing ID number with your own SMU ID.
- Enter your SMU password in the Password field.
- Choose mail.smu.edu in the Server (optional) field.
- Click ‘Add Account’ button.
- Click on icon in the top right corner of the webmail screen.
- Select Open Another Mailbox.
- Enter the name of the departmental mailbox you wish to access.
- Click and Open.
- Additionally, you can access the account by going directly to a unique URL.
- The URL would follow the format of this webpage, where ‘email@example.com’ would be the account you would like to access.
Other mail clients and iOS device on SMU webmail
To access your departmental account, you will need to configure an IMAP account. Please consult the appropriate documentation for your mail client or follow the instructions below.
- Launch your settings.
- Select the Mail option.
- Click Accounts.
- And click the Add your account option.
- Select another option. Exchange selection should not be selected.
- Click Add Mail Account.
- The following settings must be used:
– Name: Departmental Email Account Name.
– Email: Enter the email address for the departmental account.
– Password: Your SMU password.
– Description: How you want the account to be listed in the Mail application.
- Click the Next button.
- In the incoming mail server, you must use the following settings:
– Hostname: imap.smu.edu.
– Username: smu\SMUID#\email alias of dept account The email name of the department account.
– For example: smu\12345678\oitcommunications.
– Password: Your SMU password.
- Use the following settings to set up an outgoing mail server:
– Hostname: smtp.smu.edu.
– Username: SMUID@smu.edu.
– For example: firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Password: Your SMU password.
- Click on Next option. Will verify your account. If everything is done correctly, it will take you to the next screen.
- Finally click Save button.
- Just now your account will be added.
Generic IMAP configuration
Incoming Mail Server
- Username: smu\SMUID#\email alias of dept account.
- Example: smu\12345678\oitcommunications
- Password: Your SMU password (This is not a dept account password).
- SSL: ON.
- Server Port: 993.
Outgoing Mail Server
- Server Name: smtp.smu.edu.
- Username: SMUIDemail@example.com.
- For example: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Authentication: Password.
- Server Port: 587.
SMU webmail Reporting Spam
Unsolicited spam email messages can get to you through your filters, which sender reputation scores are used as one of the filtering criteria to block spam. If you would like to report spam and have reached your SMU inbox, please forward a copy of the message to email@example.com as an attachment.
Only messages sent as attachments can be analyzed, as this method keeps the email header intact. This allows the OIT to send relevant data to the anti-spam vendor, who will use it to influence the sender’s reputation score.
Note: The firstname.lastname@example.org mailbox is not actively monitored. Often spammers, phishing emails or other spam-related issues for which the SMU OIT. To report staff attention, please send a message to email@example.com as an attachment.
How to forward email as attachment?
If you would like to forward an email message as an attachment, please forward the email message as an attachment using one of the following methods:
In Microsoft Outlook
- You must select the message you want to forward as an attachment.
- Click the connection button or press ‘CTRL + ALT + F‘ simultaneously.
- You must send or receive firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Open a new message or send or forward an existing one.
- Open the message in a new window by selecting Open in new window.
- Configure Windows so you can see both the message list and your new message.
- Select and drag the message you want to add to your new message from the message list.
- Send to email@example.com.
In Apple Pal Mail
- Select the message you want to forward as an attachment.
- Select the message, then proceed as attachment.
- Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SMU E-mail Encryption Service
An email encryption service has been provided for OIT faculty and staff to help transmit highly sensitive data. Outgoing email can be encrypted to an external recipient. The recipient receives an email warning about the encrypted message.
To access the data, they click on a link and login to the Cisco Ironport. The original sender also has the option to terminate the email or remove the email to prevent access to information if necessary.
Note: Only emails sent to recipients with your email address other than SMU can be encrypted with this service.
Please email the IT Help Desk at email@example.com to request access to the service.
Using the Service
There are two ways to encrypt the message once you have been granted permissions to use the encryption service:
- All you have to do is add [smuencrypt] (all small cases with brackets) to the subject line of your message.
- Install Outlook Plugin.
- An encrypt button will appear for all new messages you have created.
- Click that button before click Send.
- The Outlook plugin with 32-bit versions of Microsoft Office Fit is only available for Windows. SMU plugin is available Click here.
Note: The recipient will receive a notification that they have received a secure message. The first time they receive an encrypted message, they are asked to register. Guidelines will be provided in their email.
SMU Contact support and email
SMU offers many opportunities for financial assistance in the form of scholarships, grants and loans as well as payment plan options and part-time employment. To find out more about how we can help you design a financial strategy to meet your specific needs, call us at 214-768-2058 or 1-800-323-0672.
For more information:
Office of Undergraduate Admission
PO Box 750181
Dallas TX 75275-0181
6425 Boaz Lane
Dallas TX 75205
Format for All P.O. Box addresses
SMU P.O. Box 75xxxx
Dallas TX 75275
There are hundreds of ways to interact with SMU aSouthern Methodist Universitynd keep up with students, faculty and alumni around the world.
SMU Mustangs are social and spirited! For a up-to-the-minute look at what’s going on with students, faculty and our beautiful campus, visit the SMU Social Stream.
Connect with SMU through the official University Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts.
Also Read: RCN webmail login help
SMU webmail FAQ
Does my SMU email expire?
Passwords. Passwords for my SMU accounts expire every 180 days. If you are experiencing trouble with your password you can go to our password tool at pwreset.smu.edu/ and try changing your password.
What is the medium of instruction for SMU courses?
The medium of instruction is English.
What are the undergraduate degrees offered in SMU?
SMU currently offers the following undergraduate degree programmes:
- Bachelor of Accountancy
- Bachelor of Business Management
- (Economics) Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Science (Computer Science)